So This Exists: A Burger Bun Made From French Fries
Last year, we saw buns made of ramen noodles, waffles, doughnuts and even mac and cheese, so if anything it's a little surprising that this is the first time we've seen a bun fashioned from fries. It's like it was right under our noses the entire time!
Fortunately, Nick of Dude Foods (whose previous forays into the world of wacky buns include a breakfast sandwich with hash browns for buns and the "bacon weave breakfast burger") put two and two together to create the french fry bun, which is exactly what it sounds like: a bun alternative made from french fries glued together and cut into a circle.
Nick's blog post on the subject reveals how you can make one yourself, should you be up for the challenge. Here are a few tips:
- get some edible adhesive. Nick used "Dab-N-Hold" from Wilton, which you can find on Amazon
- use straight-cut fries unless you want to drive yourself nuts
- bake the fries in the oven, making sure they are nice and crisp so they don't smush when you glue them together (you'll need approximately 20 fries total)
- the glue has a slight lemony flavor, so keep that in mind when you're figuring out your toppings
- once you've glued the fries together, use the rim of a glass to cut the fry rafts into even circles
What do you think about the french fry bun? Anyone up for trying it at home?
About the author: Erin Jackson is a food writer and photographer who is obsessed with discovering the best eats in San Diego. You can find all of her discoveries on her San Diego food blog EJeats.com. On Twitter, she's @ErinJax