Nadia G. may be best known for cracking wise and cooking up a storm in a candy-colored kitchen decorated in animal prints and leather, but the host and creator of Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen (now in its third season on the Cooking Channel) and author of two cookbooks (Cookin' for Trouble and Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen Cookbook) is also a big burger fan.
Here's how she describes her perfect burger:
For me, an ideal burger for should be only slightly bigger than a slider. Massive burgers mean massively soggy buns (and liquified bread sucks). Onwards. Grab a brioche bun, slap in a charbroiled organic chuck patty (cooked to a perfect medium). I love the combo of sweet and savory, so my toppings include grilled pineapple, applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions, and spicy pickles. Slather it with honey mustard, ketchup, relish and voila. Oh, and melted American "cheese", yup, nothing better than the plastic stuff on a burger—many a great burger has been ruined by a great cheese.
We asked Nadia for her top five burgers in her hometown of Montreal, and she delivered a list that runs the full gamut of burger possibilities, from cheffy gourmet burgers to charbroiled sliders at a neighborhood diner famous for poutine. Read on for all of Nadia's favorite burgers in Montreal.
1. m:brgr: Gotta love these DIY gourmet burgers. Their topping choices range from shaved black truffle to chipotle mayo and everything in between. Great for trying new flavor combos (and learning that blue cheese and horseradish maybe wasn't the best choice).
2025 Drummond Street, Montreal, QC H3G 1W6 (map); 514-906-0408; mbrgr.com
2. Patati Patata Friterie De Luxe: These guys were making sliders before the term existed. These tasty little suckers are the perfect condiment delivery system. 4177 St-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal QC H2W 1Y7 (map); 514-844-0216
3. Buns Hamburger House: Cheap, charbroiled, and seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice—these babies remind me of homemade backyard BBQ burgers, minus the creepy uncle.
1855 Sainte-Catherine Street West, Montreal QC H3H 1M2 (map); 514-303-8889 & 3673 St-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal QC H2X 2V5 (map); 514-759-7799
4. Le Canard Libéré: They specialize in all things duck, and their succulent duck burger is a nice change from the typical beef variety.
4396 St-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal QC H2W 1Z5 (map); 514-286-1286; canardsdulacbrome.com
5. The Sparrow: This Plateau watering hole has the most amazing burgers, and with a side of polenta fries, how can you go wrong?
5322 St-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal QC H2T 1A5 (map); 514-507-1642; Facebook page
About the author: Erin Jackson is a food writer and photographer who is obsessed with discovering the best eats in San Diego. You can find all of her discoveries on her food blog EJeats.com. On Twitter, she's @ErinJax