David Myers knows a thing or two about burgers. After cutting his teeth working at a three Michelin-starred restaurant in France, then under Daniel Boulud, he set out to bring his own creation to Los Angeles. It took years of training and a rumored 11 tries to get Comme Ça's version just right, by treating it like a steak, but David says it's really his mom that taught him how to make what The New York Times has deemed a perfect burger (and we agree). With two restaurants in Los Angeles, one in Vegas, one in Costa Mesa, two in Tokyo, and a third coming to Los Angeles in December, he's got his hands full. Since his time is limited, he only makes room for his favorites when he's in town. Here are his top five burgers in Los Angeles.
1. Sauce on Hampton has a Buffalo Burger that's insane. It's grass-fed buffalo meat that's very clean-tasting, done really simply, with bacon, tomato, lettuce, mustard and ketchup. It's a thick patty, cooked on a cast iron griddle, which lends a smoky note and a nice char to it. I love the texture and the flavor; I feel so good after I eat it. When I went to Japan, I was craving meat and came here straight from the airport.
259 Hampton Drive, Venice CA 90291 (map); 310-399-5400 ; sauceonhampton.com
2. Father's Office is a fun place to hang with friends, have some beer and of course, a burger. They have a very focused approach on their burger and I respect that they know what they want, and they don't allow any changes to the burger.
3229 Helms Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90034 (map); 310-736-2224; fathersoffice.com
3. Apple Pan has the original great burger in LA and has been around since 1947. The space has a classic vibe and the people behind the counter have been working there forever. You feel like you get a bit of history when you eat there. I do the hickory burger or the steak burger—I like my burgers thick and juicy, because I love steak so much.
10801 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles CA 90064 (map); 310-475-3585; applepan.com
4. I like the modern take on, and exploration of burgers at Umami Burger. I think it's a fun, well-done concept. I'll get the SoCal Burger with lettuce, slow-roasted tomato, the house spread, house-made American cheese and caramelized onions; the Hatch Burger with four types of green chilies and house cheese; or the Umami Burger with shiitake mushroom, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp and umami ketchup.
Various locations; favorite location on 1040 Hermosa Avenue, Hermosa Beach CA 90254 (map); 310-214-8626; umamiburger.com
5. I always order a Double Animal-Style from In-N-Out, which is not even thick enough. It's definitely my go-to burger and is so consistent. It's fantastic when I need a fast food fix.
Various locations; favorite location on 7009 Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood CA 90028 (map); 800-786-1000; in-n-out.com
Previous Burger City Guides
- Tom Douglas's Favorite Burgers in Seattle
- Donald Link's Favorite Burgers in New Orleans
- Michael Schwartz's Favorite Burgers in Miami
- Eddie Lakin's Favorite Burgers in Chicago
- Duff Goldman's Favorite Burgers in Baltimore