I don't know who it is that designated May as National Burger Month, but I'd like to give them a big, sloppy, greasy, onion-scented, cheese-covered kiss on the mouth. Or perhaps just a hug is fine. What better excuse to celebrate our national sandwich (national food?) and look back back at the dozens of well-tested burger recipes we have in our archives?
Let's start with the basics. Here are my top ten tips for better burgers. With those under your belt, you should be well on your way to backyard burger nirvana.
Got your notebooks filled? Great! Here are 33 recipes that run the gamut from simple to complex, with representation from around the country, breaking regional borders, and indeed inter-species relations. Perhaps burgers are the key to world peace. Check out the individual recipes below, or click through the slideshow above for a bigger look at the goods.
Get The Recipes!
Classic Burger Recipes
These burgers are all inspired by classic American or regional American burger styles.
- Classic Smashed Burgers »
- Juicy Broiled Burgers »
- Barbecue Bacon Burgers »
- Sweet Barbecue Kim-cheese Burgers »
- Hot Hawaiian Burgers »
- Muffaletta Burgers »
- Real-Deal Steamed Sliders »
- The Ultimate Patty Melt »
- Ultra-Crispy Burgers (A.K.A. The Best Burger For A Single Man Or Woman) »
- Foolproof Jucy Lucys »
Restaurant and Fast Food Burgers At Home
Fake Shacks, In-N-Out Double Doubles, Big Macs, and the like.
- The Fake Shack »
- The Double Shack Stack »
- In-N-Out's Double-Double, Animal Style »
- The Spotted Pig's Chargrilled Burger At Home »
- A Better Big Mac »
Burgers that cross that species barrier, yet still retain all the juice and flavor of a real deal burger. No compromise!
- Turkey Burgers That Don't Suck »
- The Best Lamb Burgers »
- Sausage Burgers For Minimalists »
- Green Chili Turkey Burgers »
- Vegan Burgers That Don't Suck »
Condiments and Sauces
Chili, cheese, and other sauces.
- Chili Sauce For Chili Burgers »
- Ultimate Sriracha Burger »
- The Pueblo Slopper »
- Melty American-style Cheese Slices »
- Cheese Sauce for Burgers, Fries, and Chips »
Over The Top
Burgers that take it to the extreme. Bigger, bolder, and badder than any other beef on the block.
- The In-N-Out/Telway/White Manna Animal-Style Slider Mashup »
- Sous-vide Burgers »
- The Pastrami Burger Bomb »
- The Cheeseburger Eggslposion »
- The Flood Burger »
- The Hamburger Fatty Melt »
- The Double Bacon Fatty Melt »
- 60-Day Dry-Aged Home-Ground Prime Rib Burger »